Thursday, August 5, 2010

Maudlin

I leave the country in 12 days. That hasn't quite sunk in yet. I've packed a good chunk of my belongings. I've got confirmation that the first grant payment is on the way. I should be getting my passport and visa back in the next few days. I'm registered at the London School of Bishkek for intensive Russian classes. The Ts are mostly crossed and the Is are mostly dotted. But somehow it's still not quite real yet.

This tends to happen when I'm planning on big trips. It really doesn't sink in until I'm sitting on the plane. And then I have this rush of awareness of the adventure that awaits. And that's always a fun and overwhelming experience.

I do have to be thankful, though, because the universe has been particularly kind to me over the last few weeks. I've been running into people -- some of whom I haven't seen in years -- completely randomly. Combine that with my own summer farewell tour and my wonderful friends who have taken time out of their lives to come visit me and bid me adieu, and it's like the universe is conspiring to give me one big cosmic hug before I go. And that's been really lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment